Some sufferers can live normally with tinnitus but at the other end of the spectrum there have been cases where tinnitus has driven people to suicidal thoughts. So what can a tinnitus sufferer do to relieve the symptoms?
I have suffered from tinnitus for twelve years, and every minute of every day of every month of those twelve years I have heard a very high-pitched ringing noise in both ears and have not had, quite literally, one minute of peace and quiet during that time.
Many people would find that extremely difficult to live with, especially as there is no cure for tinnitus at the moment, and for the first three years it drove me mad. Fortunately, even though I can't make the noise go away at the moment, there are many ways to ease the suffering and today I can live a completely normal life 95% of the time.
First let's look at the negatives connected with tinnitus and how to deal with them. The main problem for a tinnitus sufferer is dealing with stress. Financial difficulties, relationship problems, work issues and emotional stress all cause tinnitus symptoms to multiply. The volume of the noise you hear will increase dramatically during stressful periods so it's extremely important to talk to someone about your problems. "A problem shared is a problem halved" is a saying that rings true. Try and find someone to talk to, remember it could be your partner, a friend, your boss or your doctor to name a few and anything that reduces your stress will reduce your tinnitus suffering.
Next up, smoking and sleeping tablets. If you smoke and you have tinnitus then it's simple, GIVE UP smoking. If you don't smoke, DON'T START. Each cigarette contains so many chemicals that it's impossible to maintain your general health. Stopping smoking will RADICALLY reduce your tinnitus. Sleeping tablets put you in a vicious circle. Your doctor prescribes them to help you sleep as the tinnitus is keeping you awake but unfortunately they contain very strong chemicals and once in the bloodstream they will, in fact, increase your tinnitus suffering.
I was on sleeping tablets for two years on a daily basis, being prescribed stronger and stronger tablets as time progressed. After two years I could hardly stay awake at work in the afternoons so I decided to quit the sleeping tablets. I took thursday and friday of work and took my last sleeping tablet on tuesday night. After work on wednesday I simply stayed at home, had a nice meal and waited until late in the evening when I would normally take my tablet. At that time I simply went to bed and started to read instead, knowing full well that even if I had to wait until the next morning I would at some stage be tired enough to fall asleep even without a tablet. The next three days I just let myself fall asleep when I was tired and gradually my body began to naturally catch up with my tiredness. I haven't touched a sleeping tablet for over 8 years and never will again. If your doctor offers them to you just say no thanks.
There are plenty of things you can do to naturally tire yourself out. Go for a walk or a run every evening. If you live in a house just walk around the garden for 15 minutes, this gives you exercise and a chance to get some time alone to relax. Forget about the ringing noise in your ears, as time goes by you'll notice it less and less. Also try and reduce your alcohol intake as this lowers your general state of good health.
Eat a healthy, balanced diet. Try and increase the amount of fruit and vegetables that you eat and reduce junk food and sugary sweets. Drink more water and less coffee and tea or anything containing caffeine. The healthier you eat and drink the better you will feel, and the better you feel the less you will notice tinnitus.
If you have the chance, try and take a relaxing bath or long shower every evening. Use relaxing bath or shower oils to enhance your relaxation.
Listen to music! This is the biggest mistake a tinnitus sufferer normally makes as they generally WON'T listen to music in case they make the tinnitus worse. Make sure you do listen to your favourite music, it will mask the tinnitus noise and it's possible to relax and forget the tinnitus for long periods. I would invest in a good set of headphones if you can afford to as this heightens the pleasure of listening to the music and reduces the tinnitus noise even more.
There are even more ways to improve your tinnitus but I think I've covered the most important points in this article. Remember, don't despair, tinnitus get's a lot easier to live with as time goes by and one day I'm sure the scientists will find the cure. I hope, until then, that this article is of help to tinnitus sufferers and their families.
taken from
http://in.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100421032854AAmzllF
Many people would find that extremely difficult to live with, especially as there is no cure for tinnitus at the moment, and for the first three years it drove me mad. Fortunately, even though I can't make the noise go away at the moment, there are many ways to ease the suffering and today I can live a completely normal life 95% of the time.
First let's look at the negatives connected with tinnitus and how to deal with them. The main problem for a tinnitus sufferer is dealing with stress. Financial difficulties, relationship problems, work issues and emotional stress all cause tinnitus symptoms to multiply. The volume of the noise you hear will increase dramatically during stressful periods so it's extremely important to talk to someone about your problems. "A problem shared is a problem halved" is a saying that rings true. Try and find someone to talk to, remember it could be your partner, a friend, your boss or your doctor to name a few and anything that reduces your stress will reduce your tinnitus suffering.
Next up, smoking and sleeping tablets. If you smoke and you have tinnitus then it's simple, GIVE UP smoking. If you don't smoke, DON'T START. Each cigarette contains so many chemicals that it's impossible to maintain your general health. Stopping smoking will RADICALLY reduce your tinnitus. Sleeping tablets put you in a vicious circle. Your doctor prescribes them to help you sleep as the tinnitus is keeping you awake but unfortunately they contain very strong chemicals and once in the bloodstream they will, in fact, increase your tinnitus suffering.
I was on sleeping tablets for two years on a daily basis, being prescribed stronger and stronger tablets as time progressed. After two years I could hardly stay awake at work in the afternoons so I decided to quit the sleeping tablets. I took thursday and friday of work and took my last sleeping tablet on tuesday night. After work on wednesday I simply stayed at home, had a nice meal and waited until late in the evening when I would normally take my tablet. At that time I simply went to bed and started to read instead, knowing full well that even if I had to wait until the next morning I would at some stage be tired enough to fall asleep even without a tablet. The next three days I just let myself fall asleep when I was tired and gradually my body began to naturally catch up with my tiredness. I haven't touched a sleeping tablet for over 8 years and never will again. If your doctor offers them to you just say no thanks.
There are plenty of things you can do to naturally tire yourself out. Go for a walk or a run every evening. If you live in a house just walk around the garden for 15 minutes, this gives you exercise and a chance to get some time alone to relax. Forget about the ringing noise in your ears, as time goes by you'll notice it less and less. Also try and reduce your alcohol intake as this lowers your general state of good health.
Eat a healthy, balanced diet. Try and increase the amount of fruit and vegetables that you eat and reduce junk food and sugary sweets. Drink more water and less coffee and tea or anything containing caffeine. The healthier you eat and drink the better you will feel, and the better you feel the less you will notice tinnitus.
If you have the chance, try and take a relaxing bath or long shower every evening. Use relaxing bath or shower oils to enhance your relaxation.
Listen to music! This is the biggest mistake a tinnitus sufferer normally makes as they generally WON'T listen to music in case they make the tinnitus worse. Make sure you do listen to your favourite music, it will mask the tinnitus noise and it's possible to relax and forget the tinnitus for long periods. I would invest in a good set of headphones if you can afford to as this heightens the pleasure of listening to the music and reduces the tinnitus noise even more.
There are even more ways to improve your tinnitus but I think I've covered the most important points in this article. Remember, don't despair, tinnitus get's a lot easier to live with as time goes by and one day I'm sure the scientists will find the cure. I hope, until then, that this article is of help to tinnitus sufferers and their families.
taken from
http://in.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100421032854AAmzllF
No comments:
Post a Comment